Sunday, February 19, 2006

This weekend was a bore

I kind of feel like I wasted this weekend. Friday night I stayed in, because I wanted to be rested and not hung over for a poker game on Saturday. So I played in a poker tournament online. It was alright, chatted with some friends while I played fairly well. Even though there are nothing but idiots playing poker online. Online probably hurts your poker playing ability. But I finished 54th out of 2500. Not bad, but only the top 25 advance onto the next round. I then spent the rest of the night hooking my buddy Ben up with a facebook account. Since he graduated in 2003 and doesn't have a umich name anymore, I hooked him up.

Saturday I played in the $100 buy in tournament. I felt good, and I was getting the cards. I raised the ranks and had a pretty good chip stack. I started to push people around knocking out people left and right. I made it to the final table with the 2nd most chips. I was poised, ready to take one of the top prizes. $1800, $1000, $600, $450. Out of 45 contestants, 2 out of the 4 Kovacs' were at the final table. We were looking good, although Uncle Matt didn't have too many chips left. However I made the mistake of bumping heads with the chip leader.

I was dealt pocket Jacks, and the flop was 5, 5, 3. I bet 1500 of my ~9000 in chips, the guy raises me 1500 so I call. The next card is a 7. I check and the guy bets 2000. Right now is when I make the mistake and didn't re-raise all in. If I shouldn't have done that after he raised me the 1500 the first time. I call and a 7 comes on the river. He bets another 2000. I call and this fucking stupid ass was playing a 73. Which means he raised me with 5's and 3's. I can only blame myself for not raising him earlier and letting him make a full house. I end up losing the rest of my chips not long after and take 7th and win my money back. It was a long poker tournament and disappointing to only win my money back when I had such a good chance at winning $1800. My uncle coasted his way to 4th and $450.

I thought I had Earl's Karma on my side, cause I was going to give my Uncle's and Dad's entry fee back to them had I won. I was also planning on taking all my friends out to the bar. It would have been a fun celebration. I guess we'll have to wait until I win the world series. By the way, I decided this weekend that I'll work for another few years and then become a professional poker player.

I went back to my uncle Greg’s and watched some of the all star stuff. My uncle Matt, whose plan was to get the final table drunk by suggesting to take shots after a person got knocked out, was in pretty bad shape, so we took him home. He would definitely be a friend of my Ann Arbor friends had he gone to school the same time as us. Getting bad at 33 years old and still going strong.

Sunday has been a loss so far. Although I did watch Back to the Future part II. Maybe I'll work out and check the oil on my car.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Do professional poker players have caddies? Because I think I could do that.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home