Friday, January 20, 2006

So at work today....

So work started out just like most Fridays. Well I was a little hung over because of the charity bar night I went to at Touchdown's where there was a plethora of beautiful girls. But anyways I was slowly getting into my work, you know, just taking my time and working my up the productivity ladder. So it was 10:30 and I was maybe up to 50% efficiency when I noticed my computer monitor was looking like a mirage in the desert. Also the fluorescent light on my desk that had not worked in like 4 months flicked on. Then out of nowhere, with a thunderous boom and flash of light, the whole place loses power. I didn't really see what happened, but there was a man outside the window and he was running fast. Then it happened again. By this time everyone in the office was outside or at the window watching. A third time a 3 ft fireball fills the sky. About 30 yards across the parking lot the power lines were surging with electricity. The fireball (which was as blinding as a welding arch) lights the pole on fire and you can see the electricity traveling down the pole and blowing open an electrical box. It goes off one final time before the breakers stop trying to reset. It was pretty exciting to watch.

I figured that this was going to be the closest thing to a snow day that I’m ever going to get again. But nay. They decided to use this as time for spring cleaning. So I did not get to go home, enjoy Friday afternoon, or pass go and collect a free 6 hours of pay.

Actually it was the fastest response to a power outage I've ever seen. Really surprising, I mean they are unionized. They even worked through lunch. Maybe they knew they need to fix it fast before the 1o inches of snow comes. 2 and 1/2 hours later we're back to business as usual.

Oh well, I guess I didn't really do shit today and got paid for it. Victory enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home